Thursday, March 13, 2014

Chocolate Kiwi Pops

Between my group of girlfriends theres a running joke about how much I LOVE Costco. I've been known to have a opinion on almost everything sold at Cotsco, I even own a "I love Costco" tshirt because my love for them runs that deep.

Last week I was browsing around Costco and for some reason decided to buy a 6 lbs package of Kiwis, I know a tad obsessive but I had good intentions of using them. We are usually pretty good about going through fresh produce in our house, I hate being wasteful so when I was down to 5 kiwis and running out of Kiwi ideas I started to panic a little. I could chop them up and store them in the freezer for our green smoothies but I had already done my weekly smoothie chop and had more than enough frozen kiwis. Then my awesome future cousin Jason tagged me in a photo on Instagram that featured chocolate covered Kiwis and for a moment I was a little scared that he could read my thoughts ;) but then I remembered I had shared my chocolate covered bananas with him not that long ago so he knew about my love for frozen chocolate covered goodness.

These chocolate covered Kiwis are so good and the chocolate really helps in toning down the bitterness that Kiwis can sometimes have. Thankfully I had all supplies on hand (hooray for buying out all the Popsicle sticks at the Dollar Tree) not only is this a kid friendly treat but my littles also had fun making them with me. The hardest part is waiting for them to freeze, but they are worth the wait. Enjoy!




Items Needed:
  • Kiwis 
  • Semi Sweet or Dark Chocolate baking bars (I used a Ghirardelli dark chocolate baking bar)
  • Popsicle sticks
  • sprinkles just for fun but not needed 
Directions:
  1. Slice the kiwis about 1 in thick and slide onto a Popsicle stick, then lay your kiwi pops onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze them for 4 hrs.
  2. Once the kiwis are frozen you need to temper the chocolate. I place my chocolate in a glass bowl over a medium sized pot that is half full of simmering water aka a homemade double boiler. You don't want to rush this process or you will mess up the chocolate, low and slow is my motto. Slowly stir your chocolate until it is melted. Remove the glass bowl from the stove and allow to cool for a couple of minutes.
  3. Once the choclate is cooled a bit take your kiwi pop and spoon chocolate over the kiwi, tap on the side of the bowl to get a more finished look. Since the kiwis are frozen the chocolate will harden up fast so make sure you have the sprinkles ready if you are adding those.
  4. Enjoy them right away or place back into the freezer until you are ready to serve them 

* you can also temper chocolate in the microwave but I prefer the stove method.  Place the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and heat on medium for 45 seconds, stir the chocolate and repeat until your chocolate is fully melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment