Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Homemade Chicken Stew

Oh this poor blog, I believe this is now my 4th attempt to get this thing up and going. Pitiful, I know, but its a tough thing to commit to at times. I'm hoping this will be my year. I will finally take the time and get things written into this little blog like Ive been talking about doing for years. You see, its so bad I actually had to take down a bunch of posts from years ago because its been that long since I blogged something! Here's to a fresh start, a place to write about everything and anything and to hopefully inspire some people along the way.

Speaking of inspiring, how about I start now by sharing a recipe. I know Im jumping on the bandwagon here but its been cold over here on the East Coast. I know, not as cold as it is in the Midwest, but its cold here people! I grew up in North Dakota, I know cold and this is cold! So like any good Midwest raised girl I decided this was the perfect time for some proper stick to your bones meat and potatoes kind of food. I raided my fridge and pantry and decided to make a Chicken Stew, I browsed Pinterest a bit and didn't have any luck finding something that I was dreaming of so I decided to just wing it. I rarely wing recipes, I'm a recipe follower and I hate branching out ( I think that's the baker in me) but this time I took the leap and I'm so glad I did because even my two little picky eaters were telling me how delicious it was! Granted anything severed with sweet corn bread muffins is something to rave about in my book. So here goes nothing, my first ever recipe share:





Homemade Chicken Stew:

serves: 6-8
Prep time: 20 mintues
cook time: 5-6 hrs

1 lbs Boneless Chicken Breasts
1/2 onion sliced
1 tsp. Cumin
1 tsp. Chili Powder
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
4 C. Chicken Broth 
2 Carrots peeled and chopped
2 Celery Stalks chopped
2 Large Red Potatoes cubed
1 Parmesan Cheese rind
1 15 oz can Diced Tomatoes
1 8 oz can Tomato Sauce
2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce 
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a large pot add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. While the broth is coming to a boil cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and saute in a pan with the onions, add the Cumin, Chili Powder and Garlic Powder. Once the chicken and onions are cooked add it to the pot of broth, stir and add in the chopped carrots, celery and cubed potatoes, turn burner down to about medium. Let simmer for about 5 minutes then add in the Parmesan cheese rind (Do no skip this part, it adds so much flavor!)  Diced Tomatoes, Tomato Sauce and Worcestershire Sauce and Salt and Pepper to taste. Turn heat down and let it simmer on stove for 5-6 hrs.

I served this with corn bread muffins and topped it off with a bit of grated Parmesan Cheese, so yummy and good for you! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment