Friday, January 17, 2014

Homemade Pizza Dough

We have a tradition in this family, once a week we have homemade pizza night. I was always one of those people who either order pizza or bought the pre made pizza dough at the grocery store, then a light bulb went off in my head, pizza dough is so cheap to make at home. After a healthy dose of Pinterest surfing I was able to track down a super easy homemade pizza dough recipe. Sadly I don't remember where I located this recipe but I'm sure glad I found out.

The thought of making my own dough always intimidated me, I won't lie, it takes some practice. I have had times where my dough has turned into one giant solid ball of flour, tried to add more water, then added too much water and the rest was history. Don't let my mistakes stop you from making your own dough, I think I have perfected this recipe now and can remember it like the back of my hind. If you follow these easy steps you will be on to making homemade pizzas in no time, and trust me its WAY better than most take out places and its a great way to get your kids in the kitchen.




Recipe:
Makes 2 pizza's 

1 1/3 C. Warm Water
2 1/4 tsp. Yeast
3 1/2-4 C. All Purpose Flour
1 Tbls. Salt
1 tsp. Sugar
2 Tbls. Olive Oil

First mix the warm water and yeast into a small mixing bowl, allow to sit for 5 minutes. While the yeast mixture sits add the rest of the ingredients into a stand mixer and mix a couple times. Once the yeast mixture becomes a milky color add it to the ingredients in your stand mixture and mix together with a dough hook. Allow the mixture to mix for at least 10 minutes, it should form into a dough ball and  not be sticky to the touch. After mixing for 10 minutes remove from mixing bowl and knead onto a floured surface a few times. Shape dough into a ball and cut in half. Place each dough half into a greased glass bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise for at least an hour. I allow my dough to rise in the oven, just remember to take it out before you turn the oven on to pre-heat or you will not be happy with the outcome. ( I may or may not have done that before!) Once dough had risen you can form your pizza crusts, add your sauce, cheese and toppings and bake in a oven at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. I usually bake my crust on a cookie sheet, this tends to give it a crispier bottom which we like. Slice and enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment