Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Resolutions and Brownie Pudding

One of my resolutions this year was to have more sit down dinners with my family. The kind where we all sit around the table together eat, talk about our day and just enjoy each other. We would do this before, but it would maybe happen a couple days a week and it always felt rushed. I started to think about my childhood and one of the things that always stands out is how my dad was always so adamant  that we eat dinner together as a family at the table every night and the tv had to be turned off. That was my key, thats what I wanted to aim for with my family.  We are 3 weeks into January and going strong, the dinner table is a POWERFUL tool. You really get to hear some wonderful things from your kids around a dinner table, that's why I'm on a mission to bring them back. Simple home cooked meals, enjoyed together, it doesn't get any better than that!

I can't even begin to describe this dessert, its a stand alone dish on its own but top it with some Vanilla ice cream and it takes it up a whole other notch.  We like our brownies a little under cooked and gooey in the middle and this dessert is the perfect mix between the two. It has a fabulous crunchy brownie top and once you break through that its nothing but ooey gooey goodness!

I was watching Food Network the other day, Ina Garten to be precise. She whipped out this recipe and I just had to have it for dessert that night. It just so happened to be on Sunday which is a big deal in our house. I like to make good sit down Sunday Suppers for my family, complete with a dessert at the end. Sunday Suppers always reminds me of my aunt, she always made the best Sunday Suppers and I wanted to pass that one to my kids.

Its a super quick and easy dessert, I bet you have most of these ingredients on hand to make one right now!  Just remember, calories don't count during the winter!







Recipe by Ina Garten:

1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, plus extra for buttering the dish
4 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup good cocoa powder
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Seeds scraped from 1 vanilla bean
1 tablespoon framboise liqueur, optional
Vanilla ice cream, for serving

Directions

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly butter a 2-quart (9 by 12 by 2-inch) oval baking dish. Melt the 1/2 pound of butter and set aside to cool.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the eggs and sugar on medium-high speed for 5 to 10 minutes, until very thick and light yellow. Meanwhile, sift the cocoa powder and flour together and set aside.

When the egg and sugar mixture is ready, reduce the speed to low and add the vanilla seeds, framboise, if using, and the cocoa powder and flour mixture. Mix only until combined. With mixer still on low, slowly pour in the cooled butter and mix again just until combined.

Pour the brownie mixture into the prepared dish and place it in a larger baking pan. Add enough of the hottest tap water to the pan to come halfway up the side of the dish and bake for exactly 1 hour. A cake tester inserted 2 inches from the side will come out 3/4 clean. The center will appear very under-baked; this dessert is between a brownie and a pudding.

Allow to cool and serve with vanilla ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment