Wednesday, January 22, 2014

DIY Snow Volcanos and DIY Snow Paint

We finally got a good snow in Virginia! The kids were so happy to wake up and see all the white fluffy stuff still on the ground  this morning. Ethan is now on day 2 of Snow Days and I was excited because we finally got to test out the Snow Volcano and Snow Paint activity I've been hoarding! The kids loved this, it mixed in a fun science experiment for them but it also allowed them to get creative in the snow art wise.

Everything is super easy to make, I found the idea from this wonderful blog I follow Growing A Jeweled Rose. I LOVE this blog, it is one of my absolute favorites to turn to for activity ideas, she is so creative and really taught me to just let go, let the kids get messy, let them have fun and that learning really can be fun. Childhood should be magical, it should be one of the greatest memories you will ever have and I hope my kids will look back at all of this one day and truly think it was a magical experience. I decided to spruce ours up a little bit and decorated our ingredients to make it a little more fun and special. We probably built 15 snow volcano's (parent tip: stock up on Baking Soda and Vinegar at the Dollar Store) and painted a ton of snow with our snow paint, it was a great day spent outside in the snow that we rarely get to see. I have a feeling the next time we get snow the kids will want to do this again!







Snow Volcano:
Vinegar
Baking Soda
small tupperware
Food coloring or liquid water colors  

Start by mounding up a big pile of snow into the shape of a volcano, press the small tupperware into the top, pour in baking soda and add a few drops of coloring, then pour in the vinegar and stand back and watch your volcano erupt!






DIY Snow Paint:

Spray Bottle
Liquid water colors
Water

Fill bottle up with water, add a couple drops of liquid water colors, shake and spray onto snow.








No comments:

Post a Comment