Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Homemade Chicken Stock

I'm seriously kicking myself for not attempting this earlier. Not only will this save me money in the long run, but it has to be the easiest thing in the world to make! After making a roast chicken the other day I decided to make some homemade chicken stock. I will never purchase chicken stock again, I followed a recipe I found a while back in a Cooking Light magazine. All you need is a big pot, chopped veggies, chicken bones and water, place all the ingredients together and allow it to simmer all day. Easy peasey, homemade chicken stock perfect for any recipe! 




  • Leftover bones and skin from a cooked chicken carcass
  • Celery
  • Onions
  • Carrot
  • Parsley
  • Salt
  • Pepper
1 Put the leftover bones and skin from a chicken carcass into a large stock pot and cover with cold water. Add veggies & parsley. Add salt and pepper, about a teaspoon each.

2 Bring to a boil and immediately reduce heat to bring the stock to barely a simmer. Simmer uncovered at least 6 hours, occasionally skimming off the foam that comes to the surface.

3 Remove the bones and strain the stock.

Makes about 2 quarts of chicken stock, store in glass jars. Can be refrigerated up to 2 weeks. 



No comments:

Post a Comment