Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Valentine Salt Dough Magents

The holiday of love, Valentines Day! Even though my husband and I don't really celebrate this holiday I LOVE making homemade Valentines with the kids. Valentines Day was one of my favorite holidays during school, I would always come up with some over the top Valentines Day box for all of the special Valentines I would receive during the class party. Of course it would always involve a ton of glitter, pink and ribbon! I told Ethan I saved him an old oatmeal canister to make into a Valentines box for school, he looked at me like I was crazy but I see a lot of potential in the oatmeal canister, just wait my precious son. I promised him it wouldn't involve glitter (he knows me too well).

I've been racking my brain this year trying to come up with an idea for valentines and I remembered seeing thumbprint hearts on Pinterest. These were perfect because they add a personal touch and are super easy to make, then I came up with the plan of testing it out on salt dough and the rest was history. My kids had a great time making them and they aren't time consuming. The most time you will need is allowing them to dry before you paint them. We made all of our thumbprints before school (we had a 2 hr snow delay, figured it was a good way to use the time) I baked them for 20 mins then allowed them to air dry til Ethan arrived home from school. Then we painted and assembled them. I painted the hearts for my 2 1/2 year old, then allowed her to add the glue for the magnet. I do plan on adding a small item of candy, I'm not that cruel it is Valentines Day after all. Enjoy the sugar kids!




Items Needed:
  • salt
  • flour
  • water
  • large mixing bowl
  • acrylic paint
  • magnets
  • glue dots (or glue gun) 

Salt Dough Recipe:

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup salt
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 cup water
Directions:
  1. In a large bowl mix salt and flour
  2. Gradually stir in water. Mix well until it form a doughy consistency.
  3. With your hands form a ball with your dough and kneed it for 5 minutes, the longer you kneed your dough the smoother it will be.
Store dough in a air tight container and you will be able to use it for a couple of days. 


After you have your salt dough made, roll dough ball with a rolling pin about 1 1/2 inches thick. We rolled ousr on parchment paper so it didn't stick.


Then cute a circle shape out, we used a champagne flute and carefully press your thumbprint into the dough to form a heart. Place finished magnets onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and bake in the oven at 200 degrees for 20 minutes. Don't worry they may puff up while in the oven, after you take them out just reshape the hearts by lightly pressing down with your finger. Allow to air dry for at least 5 hrs. After they are dry enough paint with acrylic paint and glue your magnet onto the back.


We used Glue Dots to glue our magnets on and to glue the magnet onto our paper hearts

if your have little ones that love to craft but hate the mess of regular glue this is your product! I use these all the time, at home, with my Sunday School class and even with crafts I make. I love them! Trust me buy them in bulk, you'll thank me later!

I couldn't be happier with the outcome!


I'm looking forward to mailing these out this year to some very special family members. I hope the Valentines season gets your creative juices flowing, happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment