Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Blueberry Hand Pies

I had to share this recipe because its just that good.  Blueberry Pie is one of my favorites, I love desserts but pie is always at the top of my list over anything else. This recipe is the perfect combo of just enough pie crust and filling, I'm more of a pie crust lover, so if you love pie crust this is a must try. It's super easy to make and whoever you make them for will love you even more. I made a batch to share with my family and another to pass on to neighbors and friends, the best part of baking is sharing it with loved ones. Besides the less I keep in my house the better. I'm still going by the calories don't count during winter rule and technically it's still winter. Especially today since its snowing again, I'll just eat some more hand pies and dream of summer.







Ingredients:

  •  Pie Crust (store bought will work but homemade is best)
  • 2 cups fresh blueberries
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp. lemon zest
  • 1 egg and 1 tbls water for egg wash
  • sugar for sprinkling on top
Directions:
  1. Make your pie crusts, I used the Pioneer Womans recipe from her Holiday Cookbook
  2. Combine the blueberries, sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest in a bowl and mix well
  3. Mix the egg and water in a small bowl and set aside
  4. On a floured surface roll your pie crust out to about an inch thick and cut out your pie crust circles. I used a bowl to make mine.
  5. Place pie crust circles on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and brush your egg wash around the edges. Place about 2 tbls of blueberry filling in the center of your pie crust circle, take one side of the pie crust and tuck it over to meet the other side, press down lightly and finish the edges off with a fork. 
  6. Brush egg wash over the top of the hand pies, sprinkle with sugar and slice 3 slits on top of the pies. 
  7. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 30-40 minutes until golden brown and bubbly. Serve warm, even better served with Vanilla Ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment