Monday, March 31, 2014

Pour Paint Flower Pots

It's starting to feel like spring in our neck of the woods. The tulips and daffodils are blooming and I've been decorating my house with happy spring colors. Hopefully it will soon warm up enough to open windows and get that spring air flowing through the house. There's nothing more refreshing than spring, the season of new life. I had both my babies in spring so I guess it's safe to say I'm a spring lover.

Since we planted our seeds for our garden not that long ago I figured this would be the perfect timing for some flower pot painting. Kids love seeing new things grow, my oldest son was always so fascinated with planting grass seeds and watching them sprout up in our kitchen window. Now he's of to school most of the day but thankfully I have another curious little that also loves doing these kinds of things.  I made these with my oldest when he was around 3 yrs old and he enjoyed it so much I figured I would give it a try with C. She loved it, of course her favorite part was squeezing all the paint bottles. She also enjoyed watching the paint slowly trickle down the side of the flower pot, she kept saying  "It's so cool mommy!" This project would be great for outdoors but since it was still a bit chilly and rainy last week I decided to attempt it indoors and it worked just fine. To be honest this project really isn't that messy, but then again we aren't ones to shy away from art messes. Once the paint dried we filled our pots up with potting soil and added a fun little succulent. 

The materials needed are very basic and inexpensive. Glass jars are another great thing to use for pour painting, I'm a glass jar hoarder so I'm always looking for ways to use them up. These would also make a great Mothers Day gift or something to share with grandparents. I love seeing our little pots in the kitchen window, they always bring a smile to my face.


 Items Needed:
  • Acrylic Paint
  • Flower Pots
  • Masking Tape
  • Cookie Sheet
  • Parchment Paper 

Directions:

The first thing you want to do is is tape up the bottom hole of the flower pot

After the hole is taped up, line your cookie sheet with parchment paper. (Do not use newspaper! I tried that in the past and the paint soaked right through it.) Once your cookie sheet is line take the paint and start squeezing it over the masking tape. You will be using a lot of paint so don't be alarmed if you think its too much.
Layer each color of paint, you can squirt a lot of paint or a little. Just go with it and have fun.

C loved watching it slowly trickle down the side of the slower pot

Once you are finished layering your paints slowly lift your parchment paper off the cookie sheet and allow the flower pot to dry over night. It will take some time to dry, once dry fill your pots up with potting soil and plant your seeds or flowers.

I hope you enjoy this fun project, Happy Crafting!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment