Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Homemade Ice Chalk

Phew, it was a busy month for us. Now that we have both birthdays for the kids wrapped up hopefully I get some more blogging done. I hope to post about C's Peppa Pig birthday party soon! I ended up making her a Peppa Pig cake that I think deserves its very own post.

Since I'm short on time I wanted to get this recipe up for one of our favorite summer activities, Ice Chalk! I made this for E when he was little so I figured it was time for C to get in on the fun as well. I found this recipe on Growing a Jeweled Rose blog but over the years tweaked the recipe to my liking. It's a easy activity to whip up and it's perfect for those hot summer days. Liquid water colors work best but you can use food coloring if you don't have those on hand. I usually add baking soda to my mix then give the kids a small spray bottle of vinegar so they get the fizzy fun effect. They love to watch all the colors melt together and create a new color, then they spray the puddles with the vinegar and watch them fizz up, so much fun!


Items needed:
  • Ice cube trays
  • cornstarch 
  • baking soda
  • liquid water colors (or food coloring)
Directions:
  1. Place 1/2 tablespoon of cornstarch into each slot of the ice cube tray
  2. Add 1 tsp baking soda to the cornstarch and mix them together
  3. Once mixed slowly add in the water, just until the tray is full then mix everything together
  4. Add your liquid color to each cube slot and mix
  5. place ice cube trays in the freezer and freeze for 12 hrs 

No comments:

Post a Comment